Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Silver Mesa DWA emblem for Claire microphone

I've been a bit neglecting of this blog in the past year, but I had to post this brief improvement, since it took a while to solve.  You would be surprised how tricky a badge might be if you've never done one or thought about one.

My "251" main vocal mic Claire got a sterling silver badge from Silver Mesa Studios, look them up on Instagram if you're after some fine jewelry or things like that.  Or just to admire some workmanship.

I used a couple of nickel brass pins to fix the badge in place, the whole thing is secured with epoxy.  Before this it was just floating with some two sided tape.  This is a more permanent solution.

Other "final tweaks" to this well proven mic build are putting the GE JAN tube back in, an old one, and very soon I'll make a custom Gotham cable, which should be the final small tweak to this design other than upkeep.

I tested an SE Reflexion Filter Pro behind this mic, and I hated what it did.  Made the vocal really dead and added huge resonant spikes at 400 Hz and 9,000 Hz.  Was a nightmare to try to mix that.  The Sound On Sound study of these filters will show you a graph of the coloration that they add to a signal, none of them are transparent, not a single one.  Unless you have blind faith in the marketing and don't use your ears.

So now I've added a blanket to the back wall and will soon construct some more bass traps for that side of the room, to control the low end a bit more, I hope.

Here's the microphone:

 


No comments:

Post a Comment